Monday, March 23, 2015

Canines, mosquitos, and beauty

http://www.smarterpodcasts.com/second-opinions-and-medical-insurance-with-dr-na/

I am a huge animal lover, my dog is seriously my baby, so as crazy as it may sound, I am definitely considering pet health insurance. I have it for myself, why not get it for my dog? Vet visits are insanely expensive, I would know, I worked in a vet's office. So I liked the different points and ideas to consider that Dr. Nancy Kay brought up. She really had me thinking and definitely engaged as she talked; and I felt at ease knowing I could trust what she said given that she is a practiced veterinarian. I also liked that she touched on the ideas of second opinions, mainly because it is again something many people do when it comes to themselves, but rarely do it when it comes to their pets. It's just a well though out podcast that is good for beginner owners and advanced owners alike.



https://www.ted.com/talks/hadyn_parry_re_engineering_mosquitos_to_fight_disease

I absolutely love ted talks, and this one was just as well done as all the others I have seen. Again, this content may not appeal to everyone, but I think this biotech entrepreneur Hadyn Parry, still gives his information in a way that keeps me listening and entertained throughout his speech on the ever important mosquito epidemic. I think this is an issue that doesn't get much attention, but definitely should, and right from the very begging Parry was able to give startling statistics that really made me listen. Like the first podcast, Parry had a strong authority of voice the trade me trust what he had to say, and how he said it made it demanded to be listened to. Not only did he make us aware of a major problem in this world, but also had what seemed like a very viable solution to the problem; a solution that has been thought about at a different angle than previously attacked at. It was refreshing, hopeful, and made me want to think about this issue more and more. From a student perspective, it was very well filmed, voice was clear and not muffled or disturbed, and seamlessly edited.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kj0vDCUKQI

Another one of my passions is definitely make up, I always like trying out new products and new techniques; I personally feel there is no limit on how much you can learn about make up. This vlogger/podcast in particular has a soft spot in my heart. I think the author Shonagh Scott really knows her stuff and the step by step videos are well edited and nicely voiced over. She almost always has proper lighting and used a high quality camera that focuses nicely. I do love that she lists all the products she used in the information bar down below so you can easily reference them at any time. And as well as being able to subscribe to her videos, she includes links to follow her on Facebook, twitter, instagram, and her very own website. This is very different from the first podcast, as there is a video to go along with this, unlike the first one which is just sound. That makes this more similar to the ted talk because there is video, but the content both appeal to very different people for very different reasons.

1 comment:

  1. I think pet insurance is a great idea - we have it for our dogs! Good job - see Blackboard for your grade.

    ReplyDelete